Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Problem of Pinterest

In looking through my old posts on blogger, I found this one about Pinterest written not long after I discovered the treasure that is Pinterest. SInce then, I have canged some opinions and not others. I still think that it has the power to breed discontentment. There are billion dollar houses, super skinny women, outfits with $200 sandals. Those things are not gonna be part of my life, ever. But I have also cooked several yummy recipes including some new favorites. The no bake energy bites, or balls as we call them are a hit and have become a staple snack in our house.

We have done several fun projects based on ideas seen on Pinterest. I am not a super creative Mom with a million ideas of ways to keep Abigail creative and happy. With Pinterest though, I have so many ideas at my fingertips. I love to do these fun things with her, I just needed help finding the ideas. So overall, Pinterest is good in my opinion. My danger now is just wasting too much time playing.

Last week I got crazy and signed up for Pinterest. Wowsers, I was hooked immediately. There were so many cool right things at my fingertips. I love having a way to save recipes and such that I find. There have been many times that I have lost recipes that I wanted to try because I forgot the link or didn't print. Now I can save them easily. Now the problem will be finding time to cook them all. Another great thing are the teaching ideas. I'm not in the classroom anymore, but I have a sponge like mind at home and I tutor. I have found ideas for Abigail and for my tutoring student through Pinterest friends. Those are the good things about this new pin board craze.
The problems though are time and contentment. In the short time that I have been signed up, I have spent way too much time looking at it, including putting the app on my phone. My down time is precious to me, and I need to be careful not to waste it. But just browsing around at fun things is good relaxation for me. The biggest problem I have felt so far is with my personal contentment and comparing myself to others. When I see people's crafts, I think I could never do that which gets me down on me. I'm not a crafty person, it's just not a gift that God gave me. When I see all the beautiful designs for houses, I think well if my house were bigger, I could do that. If we had more... more.. more. I am incredibly blessed. It's not good for me to spend my time thinking about more. I have everything I need plus much more. Looking at the possibilities of "stuff" has me wanting.
I'm not giving up Pinterest yet, I'm enjoying the benefits. I've actually made two recipes so far. The no bake energy bites are fantastic. My promise to myself though is to watch what I look at and what I want. If I let it make me discontent with my own blessed life, it's out. Happy Pinning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel! I feel the exact same way. I love the recipes and craft ideas on pinterest, but let's be honest no one can be perfect in every area of life! It's tempting to feel the pressure to be super mom all the time. But, what our kids really need is us, not a new craft or project everyday :) I'm with ya, sister!

    ReplyDelete