Friday, October 5, 2012

Blessed by A Dirty House

Today is house cleaning day. Everyday around here needs to be house cleaning day. It's the job that's never done, or in my case, never even close. Cleaning is not one of my gift. I don't enjoy it, and struggle to keep up with the daily chores around here. Today though, I decided to be blessed by my dirty house. I see the faces in the picture below and know I have blessed far beyond measure. Those faces cause the dirty house, but if that's the price to pay for having them, every mess is more than worth it.
After lunch, I gave the high chair a good scrubbing even though it will need it again after supper. It's a gross job since my Sweet Caroline is quite messy. Today I decided to be blessed that there is a sweet child in the chair throwing food and making messes. A dirty high chair is proof of blessings because of the child that uses it. Many people would love to have messes to clean from a little one. Thank you God for the dirty high chair. Beside that high chair is a pile of black beans from a quesidilla that Miss Abigail begged to have for lunch. More mess and more blessings. We have more than enough food to eat. We get to make choices about what we eat. We have fresh, nutritious food available. Never once have I worried that my children wouldn't have enough to eat. Greasy fingerprints cover that section of the table. Oh those little prints that are quickly growing into big prints. Those small hands spill and drop so much, but are connected to one of the sweetest hearts I have ever known.

For once I gave our bathroom a deep cleaning while reminding myself to be thankful for a dirty shower with clean, hot water. Thank you God for a toilet that needs to be cleaned because it means we have one. For my work, I had cleaning products, a dustbuster, and a steam mop to use. Together those made the jobs easy. Blessed to have them.

Charlie is working a super long shift today. He left before we got up, and he won't be home til after we are sleeping. Thank you, God for a hardworking husband who gives so much to take care of us and allow me to be at home with our girls. As I was down on my hands and knees scrubbing baseboards (See, I really did clean.) I was thanking God that I am here and can clean my house. Since I know what it's like to work while having small kids and to be at home, I treasure even more this time with my girls. The quiet time timer is about to go off. I have a little girl just waiting to do something fun with me. Help me, Father to never take that for granted and to not waste those opportunities to build memories and a stronger realtionship with my daughter.

Today, I choose to be blessed by this house. It's a blessing just to have a home that needs cleaning. So for a few minutes my house looks good. Tomorrow family is coming over to watch a football game. No promises that it will still be clean by then, but for right now, my house is clean, so I will sit back and soak in the blessings God has chosen to pour down on me.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet of you to see a dirty house as blessing, although cleaning is one the least things you wanted to do. Well, me too! But I have those moments when I’m scrubbing the tile of my bathroom floor or mopping in my living room where I realized and be thankful for the blessings I have. Cleaning those dirty furniture means you are blessed to own some, whereas people who are less fortunate can only dream of it.

    Skylar Cox

    ReplyDelete