Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Dear Friend Dairy

When Abigail was about 6 weeks old we figured out that she had a milk protein allergy. This mean either stop nursing and buy the extra exspensive formula, or nursing mommy had to give up all dairy products. In the interest of trying to do what was best for my daughter, I gave up all forms of dairy products. Rice milk made cereal a possibilty and there was a dairy free frozen substance that took the edge off the need for ice cream. But as for pizza, there was absolutely no substitute. The upside to this diet was the inability to over indulge at holidays and parties. I had to be so careful to avoid dairy that I couldn't eat many treats which probably helped the baby weight to disappear faster. This was a sacrifice that I was willing to make because I felt like it was the best thing my precious little girl. I did not want to give up nursing her.

The good news is that we think she has out grown this little allergy. This is fabulous news for me since I am still nursing and also for the foods I'll be able to cook for her for the rest of her life. Last Sunday I ate one bite of ice cream. Let me tell that was some creamy goodness. We didn't have any problems. So on Monday I took TWO bites. I felt like I was doing something illegal, but it sure felt good. Once again no problems. We have slowly been increasing what I have eaten. Last night I even had cheese on a taco. As a side note, tacos with meat and salsa only are very boring. But alas, tonight is the big test, I am going out for birthday pizza. Just before we found out about this allergy a Mellow Mushroom pizza place opened up here in Gainesville. I have been waiting to go for 6 months. Tonight is the night. HOpefully, it won't mean that we are up all night with a crying, hurting baby. My dear friend dairy, I am glad to have you back in my life. I have missed you over these six long months.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment