Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Gift of Jury Duty

Whenever I have heard people mention jury duty, it has always been followed with groans. Well last week I had my first experience with jury duty and I can honestly say that God blessed me through my time served.



Monday was a reporting day. First of all, I got to sleep in a bit since I didn't have to report until nine. Another teacher from school was also there, and I enjoyed talking to him for awhile in the morning. Then I got to sit and read which is something I love to do, but rarely get the chance these days. I actually got selected to be on jury. While listening to the testimony in the case, I was reminded how blessed I am because of the husband and family that I have. Seeing how the court system works was very interesting. It was certainly a break from my normal day. During the HOUR and a HALF lunch break, I was able to run errands and eat out. I usually get 27 minutes. Another gift was the chance to sit in the sun and read my Bible. The sun on my shoulders was like feeling God's hand resting on me while I read.

I ended up being put on a jury. It was an interesting process which I am glad to know more about. The legal system surely has its flaws, but hearing and watching the proceedings was fascinating. The family involved has been on my mind and in my prayers since then. We left the court house at 5 on Monday and were to report back on Tuesday at 9. This mean another morning of sleeping a bit later than the norm. I'll take every few minutes I can get. I ended up being the alternate juror so I did not get to participate in the deliberation. I was sent to sit in a room and read for over 2 hours. It was amazing. FOr me the gift of time to read was so welcome. To me extended reading time is a luxury that is reserved only for summer and holidays. So what would have been torture for some was a heavenly blessing for me.

I had to report back on Thursday. This time I "knew" several of the women in the room, so we started chatting like old friends. We sat there for about an hour without being called to do anythign until we were dismissed. During that time I heard these women around me having various conversations about God, faith, churches, the Holy Spirit. It was completely uplifting to be surrounded by strangers talking about God. It was a reminder from God to me that He is alive, active and working. He's even at the court house. As we walked out we said goodbye and a couple of them women told me that they would be praying for me. How wonderful to have just met these people, but because of the love of Christ, we are connected. I have new "friends" out there lifting me up before the Father. I wish I did actually know these ladies. It seems like I would love to have lunch with them and learn from them. What a gift from a week that was supposed to be awful.

God gave me margin. We've been doing a video series in our Sunday School about margin in our lives which is basically have room around the edges. Lately I have been struggling to find margins with my time. There hasn't seemed to be any extra anywhere. So for me, God gave me the gift of Jury Duty which allowed for the gift of margin. Bits of time opened up. Hopefully I glorified God in the way that I used that time. God can use anything for his glory. He took a week that I had partly dreaded and turned it into a gift to bless me emotionally and spiritually. God is so good.

1 comment:

  1. I love that God blessed you in this way and that you were able to recognize it and glorify him in the process. Great post!

    ReplyDelete